Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Unpopular Opinion: I Hate Adam Sandler

Yes, it is true. Not a fan. I am somewhat of a comedy elitist in some ways. Normally I would give him some leeway since he had a good run on SNL (1990-1995) but not this time. In my opinion, he has taken advantage of his comedian posse and has little talent of his own. Yes, I know that was harsh, but hey, when was the last time you saw a trailer for an Adam Sandler movie and said, "Wow that looks hilarious!"? If you answered with a movie and/or year that was after 2005, I might have to question the taste of my readership.

Although I am not a fan of Adam Sandler and his creations, I must admit that I don't hate his semi-serious films or his comedies circa 1995-1998. For instance, The Wedding Singer is a 90's classic. It is funny and cute at the same time. Also, another great thing about it; not co-written by Sandler. It had lacked everything that a typical Adam Sandler movie normally has.

  • Actors talking in normal voices
  • David Spade, Chris Farley(RIP) and Rob Schneider were no where to be seen (not anything against them but they are normally in his movies of which I do not like)
  • Sandler as a burnt-out regular Joe
  • Somewhat realistic storyline
  • Mature


Now it seems that the movies he is dishing out are a mix of immaturity, young/hot female counterpart, crazy premise and an SNL friend cameo. This was funny when it was a new thing but by now it has gotten old.
Example: Billy Madison
Extremely immature, small romantic aspect, veryyy unrealistic plotline and Norm MacDonald.
I enjoy this movie because it is outrageous enough to work without trying too hard. But honestly, after Happy Gilmore (1996), the Adam Sandler written works went downhill.

The transformation from a young new face on Saturday Night Live to a predictable 'funny'man is astonishing. Such humor of his works on SNL because it is done in moderation and not in your face for the whole hour and a half. For instance, The Opera Man. Funny for the amount of time it was allotted but after awhile, not so much.
For a young guy, he has made quite the transformation.
Below is a trailer for his newest movie which I am sad to hear that Andy Samberg (Current SNL cast member) got roped into.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting read, Carrie! I do like Sandler, but I have to agree that his recent films leave something to be desired. Like that "Jack and Jill" film he did recently. Ugh! Who thought that was a good idea?! But anyway, nice write-up! I'd like to hear your opinion on other older SNL alums.

    ReplyDelete